The Mako Gold Mine, located in eastern Senegal, West Africa, is a high quality, open pit mine with attractive scale and strong growth potential through near-mine exploration opportunities.

The first gold was poured at Mako in January 2018. Mako is owned and operated by Resolute’s Senegalese subsidiary, Petowal Mining Company S.A.

Resolute has a 90% interest in Petowal and the Government of Senegal holds the remaining 10%. In January 2020 Resolute acquired the 1.1% gold royalty held by the original project financiers of Mako. As a result, there are no non-government third-party interests over Mako and Resolute is well positioned to receive maximum benefit of any exploration success or future production improvements at Mako.

Mako is a conventional drill and blast, truck and shovel operation with mining services undertaken by an established contractor. The carbon in leach processing plant has 2.3Mtpa of capacity and comprises a crushing circuit, an 8.5MW SAG Mill and gold extraction circuit. The processing plant has achieved strong metallurgical recoveries (95.% in first year of operation) and is expected to deliver average life of mine recoveries of 93.8%. Electricity is provided by a 14MW diesel fuelled IPP power station and water is extracted from the Gambia River.

Identified exploration targets have the potential to increase mine life and exploration programmes are in progress focussing on pit extensions and satellite deposits within trucking distance of the mill.

Targets within the permit include the identification of potential ore shoots beneath the pit, extensions to the north east of the pit, and the Kerekonko area south of the Gambia River where multiple soil anomalies have been identified. Outside the Mako Gold Mine mining concession, Resolute controls over 485km2 of prospective exploration ground within a 30km radius, either directly or through joint ventures with Senegalese partners.


Sign up to RSG News

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and announcements from Resolute Mining.

You have Successfully Subscribed!